Monday, May 7, 2012

Secret Life Of Bees

 On the last page of S.L.O.B, page 302, Lily says, " This is the autumn of wonders, yet every day, every single day, I go back to that burned afternoon in August when T-Ray left. I go back to that one moment when I stood in the driveway with small rocks and clumps of dirt around my feet and looked back at the porch. And there they were. All these mothers. I have more mothers than any eight girls off the street. They are the moons shinning over me."  When Lily says this, you can really feel the struggles she went through and the outcome of happiness she now lives. Throughout the whole book Lily has pain and mourn in her heart for her mother, and the author uses bees as a metaphor to express how much having a mother, or " queen bee" is important to her. She has Rosaleen, August and her sisters who love and care for her. Even though Lily's mother is dead, you can tell she feels close to her when she stays with August, June, and May, because August took care of her mother when she was little. This quote also holds an event from the book where T-Ray lets Lily go and stay with the three sisters. It shows that he really does care about Lily, even though he would never show it. She is with people she can love and grow with and she is truly happy.

1 comment:

  1. Great quote to discuss here and I like the photos you added. It draws the reader in. Your point about T-Ray letting Lily go is an important one. Shows he does care-I agree.

    ReplyDelete